Latest posts by Rajan Srivastava (see all)
I am writing this post to share my experience with mediation. I am a regular mediation practitioner for one year. As an IT professional, I want to share my experience with you how it creates an impact on my life. Yes, there was a spiritual reason to come into practice, but it was a great experience in my professional and personal life.
First I want to tell you what meditation is not about:
- Meditation is not fighting with the mind.
- Meditation is not which you can do.
- Meditation is not about to achieve anything.
- Meditation is not a religious ritual.
- Mediation is not a concentration. Concentration on one physical object is called “Trāṭaka” in Hindu religion.
- Mediation gives you a relaxation but it not for relaxation.
- Mediation is not about “no mind”.
- I personally don’t consider guided meditation as a meditation.
- Meditation is not a self-hypnosis.
Difference Between Consciousness and Alertness:
Consciousness is all about being aware of what is running within you and alertness is all about being aware of what is running around you. If you are aware of your anger and anxiety within you that is called consciousness and you can reduce it if you are conscious about it. It means you have control over your mind and emotion. You can take a better decision in your life in a difficult situation if you are in a conscious state. If you are disciplined in your meditation practice, you can achieve this state for your well-being.
What is meditation:
- Mediation is all about doing nothing in your mind but observe: It is tough to do nothing. It is just aware of something without any thought. If a thought comes, you will watch and let it go.
- Meditation is about awareness of what is running within you.
- It is not necessary to be in the meditative state in a cross leg position, other posture will also work, but your spin should erect.
- Different kind of meditations are available. I prefer mindful breathing meditation as it is easy to focus to breath compare to any other thing.
- Meditation is not a skill; It is a state. I have seen some of the websites which refer to meditation as a skill, but it is not. Skill is something which is related to outward activity such as programming, designing etc. Meditation is the state for your internal world, but one thing is common for both of it is practice. Through practice only, we can achieve any skill or meditative state; there is no other option.
- In the spiritual world, Meditation is all about looking at your internal world and observe your thought.
- Meditation is all about going inward.
What Practice I did:
I have chosen two different practices.
Awareness Of Breath:
This is the most natural practice compare to others. You need to be aware of the breath. At starting, It was quite challenging to be mindful of breathing for more than 5-10 second. Now I can easily be aware of breathing for more than 2-3 minutes.
Awareness Of Emptiness:
The state of being aware of your emptiness is tough to achieve, but it has worth.
The personal benefit I achieved:
- Control on my food habit was the best benefit I gained so far. I am much aware of what to eat and what not to. Tasty food is not a compulsion for me anymore. Now fruits and green vegetables are mostly sitting in my plate.
- It increased clarity in my mind. Now I have less thought in my mind. If you have less thought in your mind, constructive ideas will start reflecting in your mind.
- Mediation is responsible for me to create this website. Because of meditation, I can manage my thought, energy and emotion.
- Now I am fully aware of where to invest my energy. I am now out of any unnecessary gossip or talk; this also reduced the chance of conflict with others.
- Now I understand that I can’t fix the world. Now I am accepting people how they are. I am now composed in a problematic situation; this gives me the ability to handle the things intelligently.
- My anger has been converted into forgiveness. Even in the worst case scenario if it comes, it doesn’t stay for a more extended period.
- Now I am more sensitive towards life. I usually go to office by walk. Now I am more aware of birds chattering, greenery (As I am living in Kerala, It is greener than any other state in India), butterflies fly etc.
- One of the best thing which I achieved is consistency. Earlier when I started something like exercise, I can’t maintain for a more extended period as I was the slave of my desire and laziness. Now I can write a regular blog post due to my consistency.
- Food, Sleep, watching a movie was an addiction for me. Now I have full control of what I want and when I want.
- There was an increase in my attention period. Now I can focus for a more extended period even if the subject is not of my interest.
- I am now much aware of my inner core. Because of awareness, I can control it up to some extent. For example, if somebody is scolding me and making me angry, I can realise and sense my anger and make it down.
- Earlier I used to saw life as a problem, now I see myself as a solution to the problem.
- My attitude of life has changed from
complainingnature to accepting nature.
- Now I am not easily tired; After 8-hour job, I can manage for 1-2 hour for learning and 1-2 hour for blogging.2-4 hour spending time with family.
- Able to manage a full day with 5-6 hour sleep. Earlier It was 8-9 hour. Now I have approx five extra day life in one month. If you count this way, I will have two-month extra life in one year. Two-month increased productivity means approx 16% more productive in one year span. Suppose your life is 70 year, and from 30 years you start getting the benefit of meditation, in 40-year life span, you will get an extra 80 months which is equivalent to 6 years.
- tability in the mood, less mood swing.
Difference Between sleep and death is just a breath.
Professional Benefit What I achieved:
- Now I can learn so many things at the same time.
- Working efficiently in office along with my blogging initiative.
- Now I can understand complex problem easier.
- There was a significant improvement in my presentation skill. Now I can share my idea with stakeholders a better way.
- I can take a better decision and can stick with it.
- There is a shift in focus from doing more to doing better.
- Now I am more conscious about my wording and talk.
- It increases my creativity.
- Now I am aware of any emotion (Hatred, anxiety, fear, anger etc.) which arises within me and allow to let it go.
Meditation Bring Mindfulness in professional life
What is Mindfulness?
Mindfulness is to be aware of what is running within you in any situation. I am talking here about sensation. If you are in anger state, observe your breath and sensation in your body and see what is running in your mind. what I personally feel is that if you have some distance between you, your mind and your body, you are in a mindful state.
For many people, their profession today is no longer just a means of earning a living, but an important life content that gives them joy, recognition, and self-affirmation. In any case, our working lives take up much of our time, and quite a few spend more hours per week in the office than at home with their family. As a result, it is quite important to bring a mindful attitude into the important sphere of life of the work. This also helps you to maintain your own health in the long term and develop skills in dealing with stressful situations. if you maintain your sanity in a difficult situation, you would become a high-performance individual in a difficult situation.
Again and again, the complaint is heard that today’s world of work is much more complex than just a few decades ago. And indeed, our professional lives today are characterized by frequent job changes and less and less security. In addition, employees are increasingly required to be more flexible and willing to perform. Maybe you also had to change your place of residence for a new job and know what burdens acclimatization in a new environment and the conversion of old habits can bring. Added to this is the constant availability that many employers demand. Your time at work loses a lot of its carefree and restful quality when you are already planning the challenges of the next day.
Here, a mindful mindset can help you to focus on the present moment instead of losing yourself in pondering about things to do or the past. In this way, you consciously separate work and private life and you experience leisure activities consciously and with all your senses. This is necessary in order to prepare for the requirements of the next day and to preserve their own resources.
Mindfulness as a job stress prophylaxis:
While until a few years ago, meditation and the principle of mindfulness were hardly known to anyone. But today, many employers are beginning to realize that they are responsible for maintaining the health of their employees. As a result, more and more companies are training their staff in mindfulness, as word has spread that it is a powerful tool in dealing with work-related stress. In my current company, they had given training related to mindfulness, but it is our duty or responsibility that how much we can take away from this kind of training. it is not a question of training, it is a question of practising.
Mindfulness exercises while at work
Mindfulness does not mean, as not uncommonly assumed, that you are sitting on your mat in your thoughts and dreaming the rest of the week. And mindfulness does not also mean you’re careful not to stumble over the next threshold. At first glance, the workplace is a potentially unfavorable place to exercise one’s own ability to calmly and benevolently perceive one’s own body, thoughts, feelings, and environment. At work, it’s still very possible to practice mindfulness. Remind yourself that this is the place where you spend most of your lifetime. In fact, there are numerous opportunities to take a mindful attitude while working. The first, for example, already presents itself on the way to work. Those lucky enough to get to work on foot or by bicycle should use this daily path to anchor themselves in the present moment.
You can even try to perceive with all your senses, your movements, your breath, your surroundings and everything that you think or feel at that moment. If your thoughts are on other issues such as the upcoming workday, try to return gently to the present environment.
This world is full of the circus. You can’t fix everything, but definitely, you have control to fix yourself. Cost of meditation benefits is just time and results are endless.